In this episode, I chat with Juliet Starrett, co-founder and CEO of MobilityWOD.com, which has revolutionized how athletes think about human movement and athletic performance, CEO of San Francisco Crossfit, one of the first 50 Crossfit affiliates, and co-author of the Wall Street Journal Bestseller, Deskbound, about the lessons she learned from a cancer diagnoses at a young age and how she grew her business organically over several years by creating a sense of community around Crossfit in the Bay area.
Juliet is a big believer in the power of prevention as we care for our health long-term, and encourages busy entrepreneurs to take steps now to prevent the burnout that often comes with the demands of entrepreneurship. As she tells me, “I’m hell bent on not dying from some sort of disease I could have prevented through healthy habits.” She continues, “The goal is to be as functional and independent as possible as we age and it starts with taking care of your body when you’re young.”
We also discuss what drew Juliet to the world of health and fitness (you don’t want to miss the story of her near-death encounter with a hippo!), how MobilityWOD is crushing the Crossfit stereotypes, tips for determining if starting a business while holding down a day job is the right decision for you, simple ways to improve your mobility despite a sedentary work environment and more inspiring stories from Juliet’s 15+ years in the fitness industry.
In This Episode You Will Learn
- Overcoming Adversity and Thriving Through Health Challenges
- Why MobilityWOD.com Is Crushing the Crossfit Stereotypes
- How to Grow Your Business Organically With a Focus on Community
- How to Determine If Starting a Business While Having a Day Job is Right For You
- Free Yourself From the Constant Pressure to Make Money By Growing Your Business Slowly
- The Dangers of Pushing Your Body to Burnout As a Busy Entrepreneur
- How to Help Your Body Survive the Demands of Entrepreneurship
- Simple Ways to Improve Mobility Despite a Sedentary Work Environment
Juliet Starrett is the co-founder and CEO of MobilityWOD.com, which has revolutionized how athletes think about human movement and athletic performance as well as CEO San Francisco Crossfit, one of the first 50 Crossfit affiliates. Before turning her attention to the businesses full-time, Juliet had a successful career as an attorney, practicing complex commercial litigation at Reed Smith for nearly eight years.
Juliet is the co-author of the Wall Street Journal Bestseller, Deskbound and successfully collaborated on and developed the marketing strategy and plan for the New York Times Bestsellers, Becoming A Supple Leopard and Ready to Run.